Featured Post

Peace Corps Georgia Assignment: a Brief Summary 2014-2016

As I close out my Georgia Peace Corps Service 2014-2016 I would like to answer a few questions, and also summarize my service. It seems...

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Experiencing Italy and Italian Culture through SERVAS


SERVAS – Peace and understanding through travel and hosting
In the past 2 years as I lived in Georgia, I was given the privilege of being introduced to another international organization, Servas International,  which encompasses an international network of hosts and travelers. Quoting from their website,  "The purpose of the network is to help build world peace, goodwill and understanding by providing opportunities for personal contacts among people of different cultures, backgrounds and nationalities.
"Servas promotes trust, tolerance, open-mindedness and respect, so that people can live in peaceful coexistence. Our members value understanding of different cultures, gender equality and diversity in ethnicity, ideology, sexuality and nationality.
"In times of increased movement of people and globalization, there is a growing need to promote understanding across borders and cultures. Hospitality and cultural interaction are the essential tools for achieving conditions for people to live in peace and unity."

And in my words,  I have found a group of committed people -  members quietly validating the belief that each person is responsible for the world around them: environmentally, politically,  physically, spiritually and with compassion.  It reinforces our commitments to these active choices. For me it was a reaffirmation that normal people live their beliefs and commitments, quietly and consistently, which isn't always easy. 

  Galaxidi from downtown with Mt. Parnassus
My first trip with Servas was two years ago, to a small town near Delphi, Greece.  I spent two nights experiencing Greece from the local's viewpoint.  I was hooked.  If I never see another hotel or big resort again I felt it will be too soon. 
The next year I took a road trip from AIX en Provence to Paris, and stayed with a lovely couple that had been Servas' members for a long time.  They helped me understand the purpose of Servas and how to best share cultures and be great hosts.


Had a wonderful time with our Servas friends near Lyon.  And a REAL french meal.  The most relaxing and interesting time of our entire trip. Great food, new and different drinks, local cheese, interesting conversation,wonderful hosts.   
Next the Servas Georgia organization hosted a regional meeting of Servas in Tbilisi.  I was able to be a "day host," since my housing in the settlement wasn't really adequate for visitors. (Hosts don't have to have wonderful homes, but full-time running water  is a big plus).  We hosted people from about 8-10 countries including, Poland, Ukraine, Israel, Australia,... See my write-up on it here

Finally, I had a week to travel this July before heading home to the US, after my Peace Corps service.  As a member, I received the list of many hundred Italian members.  I settled on three wonderful hosts and had a fabulous experience in Northern Italy. 
Teresa and Eugenio outside Lake Como helped me plan the trip, figure out train options and schedules, and even picked me up at the train station. They explained Italian meals and great foods, and we shared recipes.  When it was rainy they suggested popping down to Milano for the day- which was sunny and beautiful as ever. I found a piano concert and questioned why I had deprived myself of this beautiful classical music while in Georgia.  It was my own fault, but hearing Bach made me realize how much I had missed it. 

And best, they introduced me to the Green Way del Lago di Como, a fabulous 15 km hike in and out of the small hillside villages on the lake.  It was a fabulous way to experience the rich history and culture of the area - one that you can't find in a travel brochure.  

I also experienced the diversity of the local towns and heard their thoughts on the refugees coming in to Como, religion, environmental issues, etc.  When I insisted on taking them to dinner my last night, they suggested a fabulous place on top of the mountain, arriving by funicular.  It was fabulous and I never would have discovered on my own. 


Of course I shared my experiences in Georgia, the people and attitudes and their kindness toward me.  But I was also asked a litany of questions about America.  Being gone for 27 months, it was hard to answer queries about mass shootings, pedophiles, Trump, and the European trade agreement. It still is!  The best part was I gained some new friends that have touched me so much, to hopefully make me a better person by their example.  


Next I was visiting Angela from Colle di Val d'Elsa, small medieval town near Siena.  It was good to see a real community that was also an ancient fortress. It was lovely to roam around, nice and quiet, and then visit Siena the next day with Duomo, floor mosiacs,  and fabulous tourist attractions. 

This was the view from my window in Colle di Val d'Elsa!
 It was crying to be painted.
Siena
My lovely hostess is an avid reader
Finally, another member invited me not to her Milano home, but her 'summer home' on the coast.  I couldn't find it on the map, but it was just north of Cinque Terre.  What a treat I discovered, with beautiful coast, swimming, lovely postcard towns, but no tourists!  Eugenia was ready to have some summer fun.  We had a dinner party with such interesting people, of all professions. They even commented what a group of famous people they had assembled- an author, chef, geologist and professional comic creator! Of course it was over my head since my Italian lessons stopped after my Roman study abroad many years ago (lungo tempo fa!) But I did learn to appreciate and even like anchovies, which appear to be the specialty of this region.  We had them prepared 4 separate ways.  The good wine added to the festivities.  

Swimming was exciting, especially the 'private beach' we rappelled into. :-) And the hikes were magnificent.  AND NO TOURISTS.

        






This is where I got lost trying to find the
right cove to swim back to.

Our secret beach


 



I also visited an American who was renovating an old olive press building, into her home. 




On a different level, my Italian Servas hosts led me on a spiritual journey.  As fellow Catholics we discussed and I appreciated their insights.  We discussed Pope Francis,  the Francis Way pilgrimage  and religious meditations. One woman was an avid reader of Pope Benedict and made me promise to read one of his books.  

It was an incredible week, with wonderful, kind, strong people, and beautiful nature and history thrown in as an added benefit.  I will continue with Servas in the US, hosting and travelling more I hope once I get settled.  I am sold! 


Find out more about Servas at www.servas.org.